Recipes for our October 2017 Apple Tasting.
Apple Tasting recipes 2017
Recipes for our October 2016 Apple Tasting:
Apple Tasting recipes 2016
COURGETTE AND TOMATO BAKE
2 TINS TOMATOES (CHOPPED)
1 OR 2 CLOVES OF GARLIC
1CUP DRIED BREADCRUMBS
¾ CUP GRATED CHEESE
2 TABLESPOONS MELTED BUTTER
HERBS OF CHOICE
Slice courgettes and par boil for a few minutes
Put tomatoes in the bottom of an oven proof dish
Add finely chopped garlic
Arrange courgettes on top
Mix all topping ingredients together and spread on top
Heat in a moderate oven for ½ hour and crisp under a grill.
Delicious with beef or lamb
COURGETTE AND 3 PEPPER SOUP
Approx. 3lbs small courgettes - roughly diced
1 very large onion - roughly chopped
1 medium red pepper - sliced
1 medium green pepper - sliced
1 yellow pepper - sliced
1 tablespoon of oil
4 large sprigs tarragon (or 2 teaspns dried)
6 large sprigs fresh sage (or 3 teaspns dried)
Generous pour of medium sherry
1½ pts vegetable stock
Salt and black pepper (to taste)
1.Melt margarine with the oil in a large pan or wok
2.Roughly chop the fresh herbs, add to the oil
3.Lightly brown the onions
4.Add courgettes and peppers, cook until beginning to soften
5.Add the sherry and vegetable stock to pan
6.Add the seasoning and simmer for 25 minutes
7.Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly
8.Blend/liquidise to texture required
9.Return to pan/wok, add yogurt
10.Heat through gently and serve
Serves: 6 largish appetites
Ideal with crusty bread
Suitable for Vegetarians
Suitable for freezing
Makes: 2 kg chutney, approximately
1.35kg marrow, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3 shallots, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
450g dark brown soft sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon crushed chillies
Extra time:8hr soaking
1. Arrange layers of marrow into a bowl, sprinkling generously with salt. Cover and let sit overnight.
2. Drain marrow, rinse thoroughly and place into a large pot. Add remaining ingredients and slowly bring to the boil.
3. Lower the heat and gently simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until thick, stirring occasionally.
4. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal immediately.
STUFFED MARROW BAKE
PREP: 10 MINSCOOK: 50 MINS
Make the most of marrow with this superhealthy budget family supper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion , chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
500g pack turkey mince
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 marrow, cut into 4cm thick slices
4 tbsp breadcrumbs
3 tbsp grated Parmesan
1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion, garlic and 2 tsp of the herbs for 3 mins until starting to soften. Add the turkey and brown all over, then tip in the tomatoes and cook for 5 mins more.
2. Scoop out the middle of the marrow and discard (or fry, then freeze for another time try it mashed with potato). Arrange the slices in a baking dish. Spoon the mince into the middle of each marrow slice, then spoon the rest over the top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.
3. Meanwhile, mix remaining herbs with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Remove the marrow from the oven, uncover, and sprinkle over the crumbs. Return to the oven for 10 mins more until crumbs are golden and crisp and marrow is tender.